Saturday, February 5, 2011

alone.

What do you picture when you see that word? Do you think of a hermit in the mountains of Virginia? Or perhaps you think of an 86 yr old widower at a nursing home. Most likely the last thing you would think of is a 20 yr old girl, who usually has no problem talking to people, in the midst of a hustling and bustling city like NYC. But here I am surrounded by people and what do I feel?

Alone.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not writing this because I want you all to feel sorry for me. In fact I know some wonderful people up here! It's just I miss "my" friends. I feel dumb for even admitting that fact. Other people give up WAY more than I have and are completely happy with were they are in life, grateful even. So in order to try and get myself out of this funk of wishing I was somewhere else I'm going to list all the things I have gotten to experience because I've been in NYC instead of out making money somewhere.
-the smile of the children I teach Sunday school
-countless subway rides
-walking by people and smiling at them as I go to the grocery store
-trying different ethnic foods
-praying with my fellow workers in Christ
-reading the Bible and laughing hysterically at a verse
-calling home and talking to my parents about what I've been doing, and knowing that they are proud of me
-cooking for an amazing group of people during LTO
-Pier 17 at midnight
-realizing that I have something to offer the people around me
This is definitely not an exhaustive list but its already helped to improve my mood! :) Anyway to anyone out there that understands what I'm going through, how have you coped? Have you found anything that helps make the loneliness go away? If you have found anything that helps I would love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I just chop onions and crack 6 dozen eggs and send "happy" (snort) texts to this amazing friend I have...

    ReplyDelete