Friday, August 21, 2015

A New Adventure.

Hello Friends.

I'm moving. 

To Los Angeles.

A whole 1,798 miles from my home.

WHAT. 

But you see the story is really cool. So grab a cup of coffee and let's chat. 

It all began two years ago when I went to LA to help out with Evening Bible Camp (EBC). The atmosphere and the Holy Spirit did a work in my life those two weeks and I began to see what real missions was. I went home with the idea that I wanted to move to LA as soon as possible because God obviously wanted me there! Ha. What I realized when I went home was that I was just looking for the experience of it all, but that I wasn't really willing to do any of the things I wanted to do in LA right here at home. These past few years God has taken me through a really cool journey right here in Kalona and I'm so glad I didn't miss out on it by rushing things and going somewhere else. One of the most important and most freeing things He taught me was what true fellowship looks like. One of the ways He did that by having me teach a ladies' Sunday school class. I remember going into it feeling so out of my element and scared spitless. But I came out of that year so refreshed, loved, and blessed by each of the ladies in that group. It wasn't an easy year either. I was finishing up college, Abby died, and it was just full of transition. Through it all the amount of grace shown to me that year was astounding and it freed me to extend that grace to others around me as well. I could go on with more but for now I'll move on. :)


Fast forward to this year and my return to LA to help with EBC in June. Before I went I was praying and I told God that I would love to move to LA but that if I was supposed to there would be a definite open door for me otherwise I would let the idea of moving there rest once again. The first week I was there I was talking with Jared & Carmen and they were sharing their idea of starting a thrift store and looked at me and asked,  “Do you want to come and help us?” I think I had that “deer in the headlights” look when they said that! I really didn’t think God was going to answer my prayer! (yes, sometimes my faith is very small…) Nor did they really expect me to take them seriously! After talking to them a bit we realized all this was more than just a passing interest and started really talking about the mission of the thrift store and what my role could look like. 


As of right now, the plan is for me to move to LA at the end of December or the beginning of January to help get the thrift store up and running. I would also like to continue building relationships with the girls that I had in my EBC group and help out with the kid’s club they have through the church. I can’t say I really have any lofty goals or plans as I move, but rather I just want to share the joy and love of Jesus to the people I interact with. I want to live my life in a way that others will be drawn to Jesus and not only just in LA but wherever God calls me.

These next few months are going to be busy with getting ready to move, working multiple jobs,  fundraising (yes, I'm still paying off college...), and living life. But I'm excited about all of it! I have a few friends that have gotten on board and have started getting fundraisers together and I am SO THANKFUL. They are my lifesavers in all of this! 

So pray for me as I go prepare to move? 

Thanks. 

You guys are the best. :) 




1 comment:

  1. You were a big focus of our mission board meeting tonite. Can't wait to chat and look at the details. 😊 so excited to watch God at work in you!

    ReplyDelete